03 Dec Summer Architectural Intern
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), National Park Service
Please apply HERE
Dates: May 23, 2022 – Aug 4, 2022
Compensation: $600/week + housing
Application Due: February 6, 2022
Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
All interns must be fully vaccinated for covid-19 prior to the start of their internship.
The Latino Heritage Internship Program (LHIP) seeks to engage young Latino/Latina professionals in natural and cultural resource research and management, interpretation, and public affairs.
The project is anticipated to be the production of measured drawing documentation of a Memorial (statue and park) dedicated to a famous Latino Liberator along Virginia Avenue, NW, in Washington, DC (which has been referred to as a Washington version of New York City’s Avenue of the Americas). Learn more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statues_of_the_Liberators
The site is located within walking distance of the United States Department of Interior building where the Heritage Documentation Programs (HABS/HAER/HALS) office is located. The internship will provide the student with marketable skills that will further their professional career in architecture, historic preservation and technology. The position requires hand sketching and hand measuring in the field for the production of detailed, as-built, measured drawings of a memorial (statue and landscape) in AutoCAD. The Architect Intern will learn about various documentation methods including photogrammetry and terrestrial laser scanning including being introduced to several new software programs. The Intern will produce standard two-dimensional architectural drawings (site plan, site sections, details, etc.) with some work in three-dimensional modeling. The documentation produced will be transmitted to the HABS/HAER/HALS Collection in The Library of Congress where it will be archived and made available to a world-wide audience online. The position is supervised by a permanent member of the Heritage Documentation Programs (HABS/HAER/HALS) staff.
Natural and Physical Work Environment: The position requires working in a team environment with shared work load and responsibilities. Team meetings occur daily while meetings with the entire staff occur every two weeks. The summers are generally hot and humid. Work in the field generally requires jeans, sturdy shoes/boots, and potentially working on a ladder. Office dress is casual but professional, except when working in the field.
Abilities and Skills:
- Proficiency in the use computers and AutoCAD.
- Basic knowledge of surveying methods, hand sketching, ability to create fieldnotes and learning new software.
- Working in a team environment.
- Working in an office environment and some work outdoors.
- Detail oriented.
- Easily adapts to new software.
- Desire to learn.
Education and Qualifications:
- Applicants should have completed at least three years in an accredited program of architecture or be pursuing a degree / certificate in Historic Preservation.
- Course work in an accredited design major or technical/computer-aided drafting is strongly recommended (e.g. Architecture, Architectural History, Computer Aided Design and Drafting, Historic Preservation, etc.).
- Applicants should possess the following three skills: hand lettering, freehand sketching, and precision computer-aided drafting.
- Experience in producing field measurements and measured drawing is recommended, but not required.
- Proficiency with the use of AutoCAD or other Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) software is strongly recommended.
- Work samples may be requested prior to placement (e.g. freehand pencil sketches, architectural lettering, field notes with annotations and measurements, traditional architectural drawings produced in a recent version of AutoCAD, etc.).
- Basic knowledge of laser scanning technology and photogrammetry is helpful.
Vehicle and Driver License Requirements:
No personal transportation or driver’s license necessary
Housing: Housing provided
To apply for this job please visit latinoheritageintern.org.